Have yall read the article in Huffington Post about the “30 things women should have and should know by they are 30″ that Glamour put together? Well, it’s awesome.
I turn 30 in November. Yep, 3-0. It hasn’t bothered me, in fact, I’m pretty damn proud of the almost 30 years I’ve lived so far. I looked over this list and while there are a few “spices” I’d like to add to my life before 30, I can put a big check next to most of those things on the list.
Here’s where you can come in. Are there any “spices” you would recommend before I turn 30 in November? Any thing you did that you’d recommend when you turned 30 or plan to do before turning 30, 40, 50?
I plan on attempting a marathon (or just a half marathon if someone tempts me with a nerds rope from the sidelines, a woman can only have so much willpower), being braver about my style, creating something each week, write 5 more songs, and taking more pictures with actually KNOWING what the hell I’m doing with my camera.
* Here is the incentive. Whoever leaves the best/most creative/hilarious item for me to do before turning 30, I’ll send you a $30 gift card to Target and a little surprise something to remember me by. So give me some ideas, who knows, I might do them!
Here is the list, how do you hold up?
By 30, you should have …
1. One old boyfriend you can imagine going back to and one who reminds you of how far you’ve come. check! But please the 5th on their names The one that was a nice boy was my boyfriend in 4th grade because I spit out a piece of fruit roll up accidentally when I was talking and got really embarrassed but he just shoved his lunch box on top of it so no one would see. But I can’t imagine being with anyone other than the one I’m with.
2. A decent piece of furniture not previously owned by anyone else in your family. check! my dining room chairs
3. Something perfect to wear if the employer or man of your dreams wants to see you in an hour. check! skirt, tucked in shirt, and boots of course
4. A purse, a suitcase, and an umbrella you’re not ashamed to be seen carrying. check!
5. A youth you’re content to move beyond. check! and check!
6. A past juicy enough that you’re looking forward to retelling it in your old age. check! but, i might need to add a few more spicy stories just to keep it really interesting
7. The realization that you are actually going to have an old age — and some money set aside to help fund it. check!
8. An email address, a voice mailbox, and a bank account — all of which nobody has access to but you. check! Except the bank account, me and my man do a joint account because thats how we roll.
9. A résumé that is not even the slightest bit padded. check!
10. One friend who always makes you laugh and one who lets you cry. check! you know who you are…
11. A set of screwdrivers, a cordless drill, and a black lace bra. check!, check!, and does it count if i’ve never worn it
12. Something ridiculously expensive that you bought for yourself, just because you deserve it. check! my camera (expensive for me)
13. The belief that you deserve it. check!
14. A skin-care regimen, an exercise routine, and a plan for dealing with those few other facets of life that don’t get better after 30. check on the exercise…. but the skin care routine, i put sunscreen on every day and MAYBE wash it before bed…. if you’re lucky
15. A solid start on a satisfying career, a satisfying relationship, and all those other facets of life that do get better. check on the relationship and adorable baby but does getting my masters in counseling count but haven’t used it in awhile… eh oh well
By 30, you should know …
1. How to fall in love without losing yourself. check! but thanks to my hubby who always reminds me to stay true to myself
2. How you feel about having kids. check? i have one so far….GIMME MORE!!!
3. How to quit a job, break up with a man, and confront a friend without ruining the friendship. check! done all!
4. When to try harder and when to walk away. check! but SO much harder for me to walk away
5. How to kiss in a way that communicates perfectly what you would and wouldn’t like to happen next. check!
6. The names of the secretary of state, your great-grandmothers, and the best tailor in town. crap…i need a refresher on my family tree but check! on the other 2
7. How to live alone, even if you don’t like to. check… who would have thought it would happen AFTER i got married
8. Where to go — be it your best friend’s kitchen table or a yoga mat — when your soul needs soothing. check! on a run.
9. That you can’t change the length of your legs, the width of your hips, or the nature of your parents. check! but I have to give myself a pep talk in front of the mirror everyday
10. That your childhood may not have been perfect, but it’s over. check! but i had a pretty great childhood i’d say
11. What you would and wouldn’t do for money or love. check! i will NOT lick your feet for money… or love
12. That nobody gets away with smoking, drinking, doing drugs, or not flossing for very long. check! but come on, flossing?
13. Who you can trust, who you can’t, and why you shouldn’t take it personally. check! check! check!
14. Not to apologize for something that isn’t your fault. i’m TERRIBLE at this
15. Why they say life begins at 30 check! BRING IT!